Reflection

It is a culmination of all of these factors that bring such an invigorating atmosphere to Emory & Henry - the people, the location, the size, and the family. 

I don't reflect often on my life, but when I do I feel grateful for the opportunities I've been given. Not many people get to attend a private liberal arts college in beautiful Virginia. Not many students graduate after having studied abroad, taking part in interview processes and working hand-in-hand with their professors every step of the way. We take this small atmosphere for granted. We take the secure location for granted. And we take even our educations for granted, no matter how much debt we have acquired after four years. I can definitely say that college is something to be thankful for, not only in this time of thanksgiving and holiday spirit, but all the time. 

The size and the professors are what make this college so special. Emory is such a unique place in that because it is so small, each student has the opportunity to connect with professors even outside their major field of study. I have already touched on the importance of the professors and faculty at this school, but I want to emphasize this again...the professors and faculty are what make this school so crucial to a young college student's life. The size of Emory can be frustrating. Everyone knows everyone. There are no secrets. Literally every moment of everyday is shared with every person on campus. But at the same time, this can be a good thing. 

Not only do you have professors to keep you accountable for your personal, social, and academic life, but you also have the rest of the community to pick you up, carry you through these tough years, and make sure you make it out alive on the other side. It is a culmination of all of these factors that bring such an invigorating atmosphere to Emory & Henry - the people, the location, the size, and the family. One would not function without the other; And though some aspects are frustrating at times, I am grateful that I have been a part of a school that strives to push its students to the best of their abilities in every aspect. I am proud to be part of a family that I can trust to make sure I will make a change in the world. I strive to make myself the best I can be in order to make the most impact on the world. What will your reflection look like at the end of four years? What will your future impact on the world look like?

BY: Kaitlyn McNabney '15